01 January 2008

Blegh.

Wow. Today was awesome (read that with as much sarcasm as you could muster).

Today all started yesterday. We woke up at some stupid hour, I don't even remember to clean the trucks. In Iraq. We spent a couple hours sweeping dust out of our truck, and taking out all the gear and everything to re-organize it all. Doesn't sound like much...but let's look at what's in my truck:

2 radios
A computer
A Browning M2 .50cal Machine Gun
Several cases of .50 cal ammo
The gear for me, my gunner and TC (3 IBAs, ammo, helmets, NODs, flashlights, gloves, snivel gear etc)
A couple first aid kits
A stretcher
A roll of concertina wire
Food
Water
Rocket Launcher (oh yeah!)
Slave Cables
And about a million more things.

So anyway about 30 seconds after we finish putting everything away we get called on a mission. We had to take the Maintenance Chief out to recon a route for something or other. And the chief and a mechanic both rode in my truck. This is good because they get to see how we use our trucks and how they break and what we do with all the cool stuff the put on our trucks (like our PA an police siren). Well while we were out, they noticed that the steering was not as easy as it should be and the chief told me to take it to the motor pool today. Oh why? I hate the motor pool.

So this morning we ran a couple EOD missions. We actually blew up a real weapons cache (take that Al Qaida!).

Then I came back and went to the motor pool. And spent like 12 hours replacing the suspension on my humvee.

But then I came to my room and there was a postcard from Thailand:

"Hey babe!
I just wanted to send this postcard to you...btw I climbed up to the top of the temple on the front of this. Anyways, I hope you are doing good. I miss you so much babe. I can't wait to see you! Don't forget to by me some sweet stuff! I love you so much! I miss you like crazy.
Love your Carlisle"

And I guess...my day wasn't that bad after all.

No comments: