29 December 2007

A Day in the Life

Soo..

Life in Iraq is very strange. It's almost like home. At least we try and make it like home. We have bonfires. Smoke hookah on the roof. Play Xbox and Risk and watch movies. We all talk about our girl back home. Why this dude joined the Army, why that guy dropped out of college to come to this place, how much it would suck to be stop-lossed. And then occasionally someone will bring up the war itself. And for about 5 minutes everyone will sit and listen while one or two guys talk about how depressing it is to be here dying and getting blown up when the Iraqis don't even care.

And then someone says something along the lines of, "Yeah it sucks, but whatever. I'ma kill me some." And inevitably the conversation will start over again. This time a little darker than when it started. What about getting hurt? Would you want to come back to this place? Would you mind getting hurt if it would get you out of Iraq, or the Army? I wonder if we'll get blown up again, haha yeah yeah, I wonder when it's going to happen.

What do you have to worry about, it's not like they're going to hit your truck. I roll first truck bro, I am the magnet. It's cool though. I'd hate to be anywhere else. I earned this slot. Yeah you're right, we'll all get hit.

Then the radio crackles and hisses and someone says something about Bravo Troop. Hope no one got it. Whatever, we'll probably never know. Dang. Who's going to chow? Grabe me a to go plate dude. Oh come on, I always have to go. Whatever, I'll just eat tomorrow. What are we doing tomorrow? You think EOD will get called? Hope not. Wonder what Alpha is up to. Who cares. I'm gonna go clean my weapon.

No comments: